From Rufus Ward's recent Dispatch column: What is now commonly referred to as the Hitch Lot or Burns Bottom is the location of the earliest known industrial site in Columbus. The original United States Survey of 1823, which includes Columbus, calls Moore’s Creek the “Tan Yard Branch” and shows a farm or improved area south of the creek about where the park is being developed and north of Military Street (now Second Avenue North). Apparently, by 1823 there was a hide tanning business operating there.
35 ideas posted
15 comments 454 votes 90 users